About this webinar
In this episode, we will hear from stakeholders at the forefront of dietary shifts for a sustainable, nutritious food system. Together, we will explore the benefits for people and the planet of more plant-based consumption and what meat production would look like in a sustainable food system. Additionally, we will discuss how to equitably drive dietary shifts at scale and what complimentary changes are needed to reduce the strain of our current food system on the environment.
We sit down with leading experts in their field:
- Theresa Lieb is a food systems analyst at GreenBiz, where she curates content and creates a community that make food and agriculture more sustainable, just, nourishing, and resilient. As conference chair, she is responsible for developing food programming for VERGE and also publishes Food Weekly, a newsletter that tracks progress toward a better food system. Theresa holds an MPhil in Environmental Change and Management from the University of Oxford and a BSc in International Development and Policy Science from Leiden University.
- Emma Ignaszewski manages projects to catalyze corporate innovation that will radically transform the food system at the Good Food Institute (GFI). She leads GFI's retail engagement, advising the world's largest retailers on implementing alternative protein strategies. She has previously worked in marketing, communications, and strategy in the design industry as well as in the health education and access sector. Emma also has a background in the TED community, founding and curating regional TEDx events and helping thinkers hone their ideas worth spreading. She holds a BA in English with a concentration in Creative Writing from Cornell University.
- Kathelijn van Elk is the Nutrition lead for global Foods at Unilever. She is responsible for the Foods Nutrition Strategy, which has a strong focus on SDG 2 and 3 and drives more plant based eating, less salt and more fortification. Kathelijn holds a BSc and MSc in Nutrition & Health from Wageningen University and has worked in various countries around the world.
In this session, we will:
- Discuss the impact of plant-based diets and the role of meat consumption in sustainable food systems
- Share strategies and tactics for shifting consumption patterns
- Highlight dependencies and considerations for practitioners looking to equitably drive dietary shifts